[OSM-newbies] Losing tags

Andy Robinson (blackadder) blackadderajr at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 26 11:14:36 GMT 2008

Anne Wilson
>Sent: 26 February 2008 10:32 AM
>To: newbies at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: Re: [OSM-newbies] Losing tags
>
>On Tuesday 26 February 2008 10:11:12 Anne Wilson wrote:
>> On Tuesday 26 February 2008 09:59:55 Andy Robinson (blackadder) wrote:
>> > Make sure you are not downloading a "saved" track from the Garmin. That
>> > doesn't have timestamps and the OSM import process requires there to be
>> > timestamps on the trace points. You only get timestaps when you
>download
>> > the "Active" log. There doesn't need to be any waypoints in the file.
>>
>> Now you've got me.  Do you mean that I have to download immediately I get
>> back from walking, without saving?  If so, everything I've done so far is
>> no good at all.
>>
>The waypoints file I've downloaded for the new trace has the following
>line:
>
><time>2008-02-25T17:23:53Z</time>
>
>Is that enough?
>
>I don't like connecting things live, unless they are intended so, such as
>usb,
>so I had saved, switched off, attached the cable and switched back on.
>IIRC
>the trace was still in memory.  I don't think I had to recover it from the
>Saved files menu.

Ok, a few pointers for you. I have an eTrex Legend so it basically does the
same as the Summit for what we want to do.

Some of the below you may have already done so pick out the bits you need.

Firmware:
Your device should hopefully be capable of storing 10,000 trackpoints (not
to be confused with waypoints) in its active log. If in any doubt check the
firmware version and update it (Garmin website for that at
http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-00212-00 ).
To find out what firmware version the unit currently has you turn it on,
navigate to the Setup Menu and click "System" and then toggle left once to
get the little menu that will show "Restore Defaults" and "Software
Version". Toggle down to the latter and press the toggle down. A little
window will open displaying the "Software Version".

Early summits I think originally had a firmware (software) version 2.0 and
these can only be updated to version 2.5 which I don't think has 10,000
trackpoint capability. However if your version is 3.something then you
should have the full trackpoint capacity. Version 3.7 is the current
version.

Setting up the unit:
Back on the "System" page, make sure the GPS setting is on "normal" and
ideally that "WASS" is enabled. WASS (or EGNOS as its called in Europe)
provides correction data and improves GPS position accuracy for some trips.
If its on and you see little "D"'s appearing on the bars of the satellites
page then you know that you are getting corrections. You won't always get
them. WASS uses up batteries quicker but if you use 2100 or 1500 mAh
rechargeable AA's then its not really an issue.

Next you need to set the logging frequency. From the "Main Menu" page select
"Tracks" and toggle left once to access the extended menu. Press the toggle
to enter the "Setup Track Log".

Turn off "Wrap When Full" so that you never overwrite the log you have
collected accidentally.
Set the "Record Method" to Time.
Set the "Interval" as follows:
If the unit has 10,000 trackpoint capacity then setting the interval at 1
second will give you about 3 hours of logging ( a few points are always
lost). If you plan to be out longer than three house then adjust to 2, 3 or
even 5 seconds but bear in mind that you get the best traces when you have
the highest logging frequency (1 sec).
Once set, toggle to the "X" to close the "Setup Track Log" window.
Make sure the Tracklog is turned "On".

Before starting a new logging expedition clear the tracklog so that you have
full capacity for the trip.

You can turn the unit on/off without it loosing the tracklog. You only clear
the tracklog by doing a manual clear. The way I clear the log is to go to
the "Trip Computer" page and click "Reset" from the extended menu. Make sure
the "Clear Track Log" is selected and "Apply" plus "OK" will clear the log.

Mapping:

Enjoy :-)

Download:
Connect the GPS to the computer using the cable and fire up GPSBabel front
end or whatever you use to download the log.

Save the log (track) and the waypoints if you want them in the GPX file
format to your hard disk.

Remember to upload your track log (GPX file) to OSM at some point.

Open the gpx file directly in JOSM to edit nodes and ways over the top of
the trace. Upload these edits to OSM.

I hope I've covered the important stuff and it explains a little better how
it works using the Garmin.

Cheers

Andy