[OSM-newbies] Quality data

ael law_ence.dev at ntlworld.com
Sun Nov 2 22:33:03 GMT 2008

H.S.Rai wrote:
> To make one's data of good quality, do check data for routing from
> website http://www.yournavigation.org/

This raises an embarrassingly simple question: if two ways share a node,
does that imply that one can travel from one to the other?

Example: a minor road crosses a major road on a bridge. I normally have
a shared node in the centre of the bridge. With the layers set properly.

But trying your router at www.yournavigation.org, it produces an
impossible route "jumping off the bridge".

I was led into the habit of including a common node by the josm
validator which used to object to "ways crossing": that is without the
shared node. I have just done a quick search on the wiki to see whether
the semantics is specified there, but couldn't find anything. My
suspicion is that a shared node implies navigability, but it does not
seem to be stated clearly. And the the josm validator is at best
misleading? Or is the router wrong?

ael