[OSM-newbies] layers and rendering question

Robert Helvie alimamo at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 05:44:24 GMT 2008

OK, so here is the Google Earth image just for clarity:
http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/9470/gearthbx4.png

The lower three bridges are tagged as layer 1. I tagged the upper bridge as
layer 2 since it eventually crosses over two of the layer 1 bridges. OK so
far (I assume). But when viewed in JOSM I get this:
http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/599/josmby9.png

Obviously that upper, layer 2, bridge goes under the layer 1 bridge. It also
goes under a non-layer tagged (layer 0) road just off image where my red gpx
track can be seen.

My question is ... Does JOSM not bother to actually correctly render items
with respect to layer? I have yet to upload the changes to the data to see
if Mapnik or Osmarender renders them correctly, but I will. (I was more
concerned with what JOSM was showing me.) If JOSM DOES take the layer tag
into consideration, then any ideas on what is happening here?

Secondly ... First, no I am not using Google to trace roads. You'll notice
the image shift can be a bit confusing. But I am wondering. Since Google
does not actually have any road data in Korea, there is no way I could
infringe on the copyright of "their" road data, but ... since I would just
be using their image, then shifting it to match my tracks, and then tracing
over other roads on the shifted image ...

Wouldn't this be OK under the fair use clause of intellectual property law,
especially since I am not actually making a derivative work of any existing
road data or an image from existing image data?

If this horse has already been beaten to a pulp, forgive me. I may have
missed the relevant chapter and verse.

Thanks for the comments.

Robert

--
"We should give meaning to life, not wait for life to give to
give us meaning. "