[OSM-newbies] Administrative boundaries

James Ewen jewen at shaw.ca
Sun Nov 9 23:04:52 GMT 2008

On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 3:07 PM, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:
> James Ewen wrote:
>
>> Potlatch has a little hiccup with these borders... if you go into
>> Potlatch, the way ends up being displayed about 50 pixels wide. It
>> makes it a little difficult for editing.
>
> Yep - I think it's that if two points are so far apart that they go
> over the edges of Flash's co-ordinate system, wild stuff happens.
> (Though I've not looked into it in any detail.)

Well, that's a distinct possibility here... The eastern border of
Alberta is defined by two nodes, one at 49N, 110W, and the other at
60N, 110W... That's about 1224 km between the two points.

>> That, and the American border
>> import from Tiger data needs some clean up. The US counties seem to
>> like to encroach on our sovereign nation! Is there a way to get
>> lat/long information for a node in Potlatch?
>
> Mouse-over to the place you want and press 'L'.

Sweet! Just what I needed... The corner of
Alberta/Saskatchewan/Montana was at 48.999 -110.001... I moved it to
49 -110!

James