[OSM-newbies] Administrative boundaries

James Ewen jewen at shaw.ca
Mon Nov 10 07:27:35 GMT 2008

On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 11:55 PM, John Deters <jadeters at comcast.net> wrote:

> Don't move the tags to try to make them display.  It's easier to fix once
> you find out that display is based on population.  I've fixed some city
> names that weren't rendering properly by setting their population tag to the
> latest values from Wikipedia.  (It bugged me that New York didn't appear at
> zoom level 4.)

Any hints on how to set a population level? I see New York hanging out
there at a large area zoom, but it runs away into the noise. I found
it when zoomed way in, but it just has a couple is_in tags. Must not
be the same node you're talking about.

Edmonton has a population tag, with a value of 720,000 or so. Still
gets overwritten by Spruce Grove with a population tag of 18,405.

James