[OSM-newbies] open-source project & close-source tools

Gour gour at mail.inet.hr
Sun Nov 23 20:05:05 GMT 2008

>>>>> "Simon" == <simon at bleah.co.uk> writes:

Simon> There’s at least Java, Ruby, ActionScript, Perl, Python, C and
Simon> C++ in use.  I think it just so happens that the more prolific
Simon> tools are written in Java.  I could be wrong.

He he, it looks like I stumbled mostly on Java apps...

Simon> OSM is an open data project, and open source software
Simon> (preferrably “free software”) is not really one of its aims.
Simon> They do go hand‐in‐hand, however, and I’d say a majority of
Simon> software for OpenStreetMap _is_ free software (no hard numbers).

I saw that majority is _free_ software, but several apps are not
_open-source - that's the difference I wonder about.

Simon> Getting JOSM running in a free Java implementation was “fun”.
Simon> Now OpenJDK is about it has gotten even easier.  I’m not so keen
Simon> on the fiddling either.

I've mkgmap works with OpenJDK, but prefer Merkaartor over JOSM (Java
GUI apps do not play nicely with xmonad WM.

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Zagreb, Croatia  | GPG key: C6E7162D