[OSM-newbies] Can't figure out how to upload a park boundary to OSM

Ted Mielczarek ted.mielczarek at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 18:50:49 BST 2008

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 9:35 PM, Hilton Long <seldom.seen at verizon.net> wrote:

> I've extracted a boundary definition for Capitol Reef National Park from
> Tiger line files, 2006.  It's in gpx format, and shows as a continous,
> closed line with numerous vertices.  I'm new to OSM, but I think this
> should
> show up as an area feature if I could figure out a way to import it.
> Unfortunately, I can't.
>
> This is really frustrating, because I see an area indicating the boundaries
> of Zion National Park just east of Saint George, UT, USA.
>
> OSM rejects my gpx upload because it doesn't have time stamps.
> JOSM opens the the gpx file, but only shows points.
> Is there a way to get JOSM to open shape files, or to convert the gpx files
> to ways, the way the slippy map does when it likes the gpx I upload?

Uploading this as a gpx is not what you want. GPX files are assumed to be
recordings from a GPS. What you have here is just some data that you'd like
to upload to the map. What you want to do (in this particular case) is right
click on the GPX layer in JOSM, and choose "Convert to Data Layer". You will
then have a feature in the data layer that you can apply tags to and upload
to the database.

Note that you shouldn't do this with actual GPS tracklogs, you should trace
over them instead. Since this is data exported from a shapefile, this should
be ok.

-Ted