[OSM-newbies] GPS Trace ownership

Hakan Tandogan hakan at gurkensalat.com
Wed Oct 15 10:10:46 BST 2008

On Wed, October 15, 2008 10:47, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> To recap:
>

> James would like an option in Potlatch to be able to convert public
> GPS data from the database into a way. At present, of course, you can
> do that with a GPS track from the list by clicking the 'edit' link
> alongside; but if you don't know what track it is, yet you can see it on
> the map, you're a bit stuck.
>
> I personally wouldn't have a problem with implementing this and would
> find it useful. However, privacy concerns have often been raised about
> This Sort Of Thing. I'd be interested to hear people's views.
>
> All the data is of course there anyway and is trawlable by anyone who
> wants to download the raw GPS traces: this would mostly be a convenience
> thing.

I have thousands of kilometers worth of GPS tracks, which I have cleaned
up a little (with gpsbabel).

Personally, I will never get around to manually trace every one of those
tracks, but I would not mind if someone can obtain the information which
track some points in a give area belong to.

Another question though: Could you implement this feature so that JOSM (my
main editor) could use that information too?

Regards,
Hakan

--
The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering...