[OSM-newbies] openmoko freerunner for both maps and recording tracks?

Joseph Jon Booker joe at neoturbine.net
Wed Sep 10 20:41:17 BST 2008

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 11:53:00 +0300
"Risto H. Kurppa" <risto at kurppa.fi> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 11:07 AM,  <herve.openstreetmap at ouvaton.org>
> wrote:
> > Joseph: can you tell me if, once the terminal-related setup is
> > complete, the freerunner will allow me to switch it off, then on
> > (the day after) and just click on TangoGPS to activate the GPS
> > again and have it working?
> >
> > While I accept messing with terminal and ssh *for setup*, what I
> > definitely don't want is to redo this each time I'd need to turn
> > the GPS on or off, for instance...
>
> I turn on and off the gps from the GUI (menu behind the power button)
> and it works.
>
> Though you'd need to recharge it every night, the power optimization
> is still to be done..

The newer 2008.8 software also allows you to turn off/on gps via a gui.
The freesmartphone.org stack has assisted gps in it now, and I thought
one of their goals is to have a sample implementation of everything in
the framework, so they might have a gui for agps in the next milestone,
otherwise that requires the command line.

The thing with power saving is that the neo normally suspends when you
are not using it (and wakes up when you press a button, get a
call/text, alarm goes off, etc). You need to disable this while making
GPS traces though. So with screen blanking (which is not exposed
normally in the 2008.8 gui, but you can enable the advance
configuration for it) you can probably only get 5+ hours of traces.

--
Joseph Booker