[OSM-newbies] Where is the line between "facts" and "creative works"?

Joseph Scanlan n7xsd at arrl.net
Mon Sep 29 15:57:32 BST 2008

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008, Eric Ladner wrote:

> my understanding is that government produced GIS data is public and
> not subject to copyright (since, actually you're the one that helped
> pay for it, it's partially yours, too).

Better to say US Federal Government data is public.  State and local
governments can (and sometimes do) copyright data.

Joseph Scanlan                               http://www.qsl.net/n7xsd
+1-702-455-3679                               http://n7xsd.dyndns.org
jps at co.clark.nv.us (work)                   (not work) n7xsd at arrl.net

So he went inside there to take on what he found.
But he never escaped them, for who can escape what he desires?
                                               --Tony Banks of Genesis
                                                    in "The Lady Lies"