[OSM-newbies] FW: loading GPX files

Mike Harris mikh43 at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 8 16:35:23 GMT 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Harris [mailto:mikh at delco.idps.co.uk]
Sent: 08 February 2009 16:26
To: 'newbies at openstreetmap.org'
Subject: RE: [OSM-newbies] loading GPX files

I don't seem to have this problem? I start JOSM and open my gpx file - it
produces an 'unnamed' new osm layer, a gpx layer (from the track points in
the gpx) and a 'markers from' layer (from the waypoints in the gpx). I use
the right-click menu to convert the gpx layer to a data layer - it
automatically moves to a position immediately below the 'unnamed' osm layer.
I select the 'unnamed' osm layer and click on the icon to merge it with the
layer directly below (i.e. the converted gpx file). I then slightly expand
the display area and download from the server to get the latest information
from the database and away we go with the JOSM editing ... I have an
editable converted gpx trace as an unnamed and untagged way that I can work
on in the context of all of the previous (and also editable mapping). If I
am interrupted before finishing work on that trace I just save the osm layer
as an osm file ready for the next session. In the next session I can open
the saved osm file and also the original gpx trace - then immediately delete
the gpx layer (as the trace is now in the osm file) leaving only the markers
(which I may need for orientation and editing against my tape-recorded
survey notes).

Hope this helps

Mike Harris