[OSM-newbies] N95 built-in GPS vs. Bluetooth GPS

Arlindo Pereira nighto at nighto.net
Mon Feb 16 21:46:44 GMT 2009

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 17:28, Toni Erdmann <toni.erdmann at web.de> wrote:

> Arlindo Pereira wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I don't know if there is someone on the list with this cellphone, but
> > when I record GPS tracks with Nokia Sports Tracker (which allows me
> > exporting to GPX) i got some fuzzy lines, like if I pass 5 times the
> > same place the position recordered would always be different. So, I was
> > wondering: what if I get a bluetooth gps like this one -
> > http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8840 - would the signal
> > reception be better?
> >

> Hi Arlindo,
>
> yes I've got this N95 and saw the same.
>
> Well, the GPS receiver is built in under the number block.
> So for better reception you have to open the slider and
> hold it up-side-down to the sky. Not that easy to read
> the display then.

Hi Toni,

I tend to put it on the side pocket of my backpack, with the slider opened,
but it closes itself due to the trepidations of the bycicle. When I'm doing
some OSM fun, usually I don't look to the cellphone, it keeps recording the
GPS signal and I wrote down the street names on a paper (I like it better
than writing notes on cellphone).

I just bought a cellphone holder on DealExtreme - this one:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15544 - to try if this GPS signal
gets any better. Unfortunately, here I cannot use my cellphone there all the
time or I'll get robbed... :(

> I have a BT-GPS-Mouse which is definitely better with the
> Nokia-Sports-Tracker. I don't know the one you mention,
> but external is better anyway.

Nokia Sports Tracker is just a program that logs the way and exports to GPX.
I believe it's like that because of poor signal reception, not due to
program.

This BT-GPS-Mouse is similar to this? http://europe.nokia.com/A4144279 I'd
love to try a BT GPS module like that, so I can know I'd not waste $50 in
order to have exactly the same fuzzy signal.

[]

> Regards,
> Toni

Arlindo Saraiva Pereira Jr.

Pesquisador e Desenvolvedor de Soluções em Software Livre - Circo Voador
Digital - circodigital.org.br
Bacharelando em Sistemas de Informação - UNIRIO - uniriotec.br

Profissional: arlindo at circodigital.org.br
Acadêmico: arlindo.pereira at uniriotec.br
Geral: contato at arlindopereira.com

Tel.: +5521 92504072