[OSM-newbies] N95 built-in GPS vs. Bluetooth GPS

Michel Barakat bmichel at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 09:44:01 GMT 2009

> I don't know if there is someone on the list with this cellphone, but when I
> record GPS tracks with Nokia Sports Tracker (which allows me exporting to
> GPX) i got some fuzzy lines, like if I pass 5 times the same place the
> position recordered would always be different. So, I was wondering: what if
> I get a bluetooth gps like this one -
> http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8840 - would the signal reception
> be better?

Hi Arlindo,

I'm using a Nokia N95 device as well, however coupled with an external
GPS receiver.
I believe the two main advantages of getting a Bluetooth GPS receiver are:
- Longer battery life for your device as you would turn off the internal GPS
- Better accuracy precision and signal strength

I'm using the Holux GPSSlim240 Bluetooth receiver. It requires a
couple of minutes to get a GPS signal, but once that through, it does
a pretty good job.

Cheers
Michel