[OSM-newbies] MapQuery: answer from api and xapi differs in number of nodes. why?

osm at zimmer107.de osm at zimmer107.de
Sat Feb 28 12:03:06 GMT 2009

Hello,

there is something I don't understand.

I am doing am map query with a given bounding box to the api and to the
xapi osm server. But I get different results.

An example:

bb="bbox=7.80303955078,48.046873824,7.80578613281,48.0487099429"

wget -O xapi.osm http://www.informationfreeway.org/api/0.5/map?$bb
wget -O api.osm  http://api.openstreetmap.org/api/0.5/map?$bb

$ grep '<node' api.osm |wc -l
63
$ grep '<node' xapi.osm |wc -l
6

Why are there so few nodes in the answer of the xapi server?

The wiki says:

api [1]:
| The following command returns:
|
|    * All nodes that are inside a given bounding box and any relations
|     that reference them.
|    * All ways that reference at least one node that is inside a
|     given bounding box, any relations that reference them [the
|     ways], and any nodes outside the bounding box that the ways
|     may reference.
|    * All relations that reference one of the relations
|     included due to the above rules. (Does not apply
|     recursively.)

xapi [2]:
|     *  All nodes that are inside a given bounding box and any
|       relations that reference them.
|     * All ways that reference at least one node that is inside a
|       given bounding box, any relations that reference them [the
|       ways], and any nodes outside the bounding box that the ways
|       may reference.

So I guess the number of nodes should be the same.

thanks for your help.

regards,
 stefan

[1]