[OSM-newbies] Highway=stile vs Barrier=stile

Mike Harris mikh43 at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 6 17:06:05 GMT 2009

Hi

I think I may have started this thread - and received some really good and
helpful comments, for which my thanks. My interest arose because I am
currently adding as many as possible of the public rights of way and other
footpaths in west and mid-Cheshire on the basis of a seven year (and still
growing) stash of time-stamped gps tracks from my walking endeavours.
Stiles, gates, kissing gates, etc. are of course quite important to walkers
- especially to less able walkers - when assessing a possible route.

>From a technical (English public rights of way law) point of view, a stile
is as much an obstruction as a gate or a fence when on a public right of way
- only a gap is not an obstruction. Stiles etc. need to be specified and
allowed by the highway authority; those that are not specified are illegal
obstructions; those that are specified have to be maintained. So ... I would
say that a stile is a barrier (in law - and for differently abled walkers in
practice - not easy to get a wheel chair over a stile or even an arthritic
hip!).

>From an OSM standpoint, I use barrier=stile as what I believe to be the now
preferred tag - but, perhaps improperly, also tag with highway=stile for the
sake of osmarender which does not yet render the barrier= tag. I do not
regard this as "tagging for the renderers" as highway=stile is not an
incorrect tag (and there is a large number of highway=stile tags already out
there - I need to check, but probably more than there are for barrier=stile)
just not the preferred tag.

In the light of the various responses and from my reading of (English)
footpath law I would suggest that the present system of tagging used in OSM
is about right (see also the post today re cyclemap rendering):

Public rights of way:

If a way is a public right of way in law (and is not a vehicular highway)
then it is tagged, as per wiki:

highway=footway and foot=yes for public footpaths;

highway=bridleway and foot=yes plus horse=yes plus bicycle=yes for public
bridleways (bicycle=no for the few public bridleways where local regulations
reverse the default assumption of 'yes');

highway=byway and foot=yes plus horse=yes plus bicycle=yes plus motor=no for
restricted byways (i.e. RBs) and 'byways open to all traffic' (i.e. BOATs) -
noting that 'roads used as public path' (RUPPs) no longer exist (the OS will
eventually catch up!) and that RBs are closed to motorise traffic of all
kinds;

I also add tracktype=gradex tag where I feel this information is important;
this results in osmarendering even a highway=footway as a track - which
seems sensible.

I also add a ref= tag for public right of way numbers where these are known
from a copyright-free source. Likewise, for the few cases where the way is
actually named, I use a name= tag.

Where a public footpath etc. is coincident with a vehicular highway I add
only the ref=[footpath number] tag to the normal highway tags that are
already in place.

I do not use a cycleway tag on public rights of way as it has no meaning in
law and adds no further information than the highway tag and the yes/no tags
for classes of user, as above. Where a public right of way is also a named
or reference-numbered cycleway (local, regional or national) I use the
'route' relation (rather than a key tag) with route=bicycle, network= , ref=
and, where appropriate name=  (which does not preclude adding other route
relations to the same way segment where it is also an acknowledged walking
or horse riding route).

Ways that are not public rights of way:

If a way is NOT a public right of way the situation is more complex and a
little more of a grey area. Obviously the same approach with relations can
be used as in the preceding paragraph as it implies nothing about legal
rights or surface.

I tend to use highway=path where the path is in practice passable only on
foot and highway=track where it is in practice also passable on horseback or
bicycle; mountain bikes are a bit of a grey area - I tend to assume that
they are capable of going anywhere! In addition I tag with
foot/horse/bicycle= permissive or =no as appropriate based on local
knowledge or regulations.

I avoid using cycleway tags on these non-public-right-of-way paths as this
could imply that they are intended primarily for cyclists whereas in most
cases they are multiuse paths with equal rights for cyclists and walkers
(and sometimes also for horse riders) - so as much a footway as a cycleway.
The exception would be the dedicated cycleways beside major vehicular
highways where these run parallel to the roadside footway. Surface I
indicate using tracktype= where this seems important - or occasionally just
paved/unpaved.

__

I think that in those areas - like England - where much of the road mapping
is complete or heading that way we are going to see an increasing effort to
add off-road ways. The analogy (in Great Britain) is moving from OS 1:50000
general-purpose mapping to 1:25000 mapping for outdoorsy types. So it may be
that there is a case for a fuller discussion of the issues involved. I have
offered by two penn'th as a starter for ten (if that isn't a mixed metaphor,
I don't know what is!).

Sorry this is long or even in the wrong group ... and I suppose I am just
asking for a deluge of objections by describing things in some detail ... so
be gentle!

Happy mapping!

Mike Harris