[OSM-newbies] GPS to display OSM maps

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Thu Jan 8 05:17:43 GMT 2009

Kenneth Gonsalves writes:
> On Thursday 08 Jan 2009 5:27:01 am Akkana Peck wrote:
> >   gpsbabel -i garmin -f usb: -o gpx -F waypoints.gpx
>
> I think this would give both waypoints and tracks - the '-w' option would give
> waypoints only

Nope, at least not for the Vista CX, and I gather it doesn't for
the Legend HCX either (at least, at the one mapping party I've
been to they had trouble getting waypoints off the Legends).
And I've seen reports from users of a few other Garmin models
that seem to indicate the same thing, that they have to get
the waypoints as a separate file.

> ps - nice to see the Gimp guru on OSM

I've actually used GIMP to make maps -- import layers from Topo!
tiles, PDF trail maps, big TIF geologic maps, satellite screenshots
etc., scale and overlay them all as layers then play with
layer opacity.  Took forever getting all the scaling right.
OSM looks a lot easier. :-)

	...Akkana