[OSM-newbies] GPS to display OSM maps

Russ Phillips russ at phillipsuk.org
Thu Jan 8 13:01:56 GMT 2009

> I guess the Legend HCx (as suggested by Dermot) is a god option. But if
> you could spend a little more maybe Garmin Oregon 200 is the thing for
> you. Originally I planned buying the Legend, but after holdning the
> Oregon I could no resist. :-)

Too rich for me, I'm afraid :-( Looks like I'll be getting a Legend HCx

> Weekly build of maps from all countries can be downloaded in native
> Garmin (img) format from Cloudmade:
> http://downloads.cloudmade.com/

That could be quite useful. I'd intended to make my own, but I might
just be lazy and download them from there ;-)

>> - It would be nice to be able to store multiple track logs, giving
>> each one a name (I don't know if *any* GPS can do this, but I figured
>> it's worth an ask)
>
> Not sure chat you mean.

An example - if I walk down a footpath, it would be nice to save a
track log of that walk and name it something like "Footpath", then
walk along a canal, save that as a new track log named "Canal". The
idea being that when I then loaded them into JOSM it would make it
easier to mark up the new features. That doesn't appear to be
possible, though.

> With my Vista CX, gpsbabel has no trouble creating gpx from whatever
> it sees on the Vista. With the unit *not* in mass storage mode
> (since I can't get waypoints if it's in that mode), I do:
>  gpsbabel -i garmin -f usb: -o gpx -F waypoints.gpx
>  gpsbabel -t -i garmin -f usb: -o gpx -F tracklog.gpx

With the Navit, I use the navilink.pl script to get waypoints, and
simply copy tracklogs from the SD card. I imagine I'll do something
similar with the Garmin.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and help.

Russ