[OSM-newbies] buildings as points and/or areas

Arlindo Pereira nighto at nighto.net
Fri Jan 16 15:34:19 GMT 2009

I also have some doubts in this field. There are various tags (I could look
wiki, but at least 'amenity library' comes to my mind) that are only
suitable for single nodes, not for areas (i.e. buildings). Is this what the
tag 'area yes' was meant for?

[]

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 13:18, Robert Helvie <alimamo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In some original ride-bys and surveys I marked the locations of some
> supermarkets and such on OSM with just a single tagged node.
>
> Now, after editing in some boundary streets and using yahoo's aerial
> imagery I can go back and outline the larger supermarkets and tag them as
> named buildings. Am I correct in assuming that I should now remove those
> original nodes, or does it not matter if the node sits on top of the
> building? Or is there some other way to do it. What is the common/accepted
> practice?
>
> The thing I am wondering about is whether the areas (buildings) are (would
> be) searchable on any OSM routing sites or when map data is transferred to
> GPS units (Garmin, myself). Right now parks seem to make it to the Garmin,
> but some other areas don't which means a supermarket as a building might not
> show up without the node on top.
>  This isn't "tagging for the renderer" but rather tagging for the GPSr.
> Yes, I know that really on the Garmin these things should actually be
> depicted using type files, but sometimes that is rather difficult to
> accomplish, and other times nearly impossible with the limited amount of
> types available.
>
> Just looking for an answer and any input. Thanks a bunch.
>
> Jama rek,
>
> Robert
>

> --
> "We should give meaning to life, not wait for life to give to
> give us meaning. "
> ~ unknown
> ---

Arlindo Saraiva Pereira Jr.

Pesquisador e Desenvolvedor de Soluções em Software Livre - Circo Voador
Digital - circodigital.org.br
Bacharelando em Sistemas de Informação - UNIRIO - uniriotec.br

Profissional: arlindo at circodigital.org.br
Acadêmico: arlindo.pereira at uniriotec.br
Geral: contato at arlindopereira.com

Tel.: +5521 92504072