[OSM-newbies] JOSM memory

Ed Loach ed at loach.me.uk
Sat Jan 17 06:14:54 GMT 2009

The following shortcut works for me on Windows Vista

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\java.exe" -jar -Xmx256M
C:\Users\Ed\Downloads\JOSM\josm-latest.jar

I believe there is meant to be some way that you can avoid having to
point at a specific java version but I've not been able to get it to
work. The " marks around the java path is because of the spaces in
the path. I'm guessing if there were spaces in the jar path (say if
Vista still used "My Documents" in the path to Downloads) then I'd
need quotes around that as well, but not sure.

I don't know why I'm only assigning 256M - the example here
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/JOSM#Windows_3
shows 512M

Ed