[OSM-newbies] new to OSM editing - advice on coping with gpx /POTLATCH offset

Mike Harris mikh43 at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 17 10:28:14 GMT 2009

Hi!

Personally, I wouldn't trust the gps signal (even with WAAS corrections) to
better than 5-10 metres. I have tried walking the same route several times
and this confirms the level of consistency. As a walker-mapper I often find
it necessary to do a little interpretation. I tend to adjust an OSM feature
where it seems sensible to do so. Many existing OSM traces have been done by
cyclists (or even from a car on major highways) so a walker's record is
likely to be more accurate. Nevertheless I never adjust by more than a few
metres and at the most to half way between the original OSM position and the
gps trace. If I walk the route again later I apply the same sort of rule -
so there is a process of successive approximation! Of course, if I know from
surveying that the existing OSM trace is seriously in error I would then
make a correction and, if appropriate, added a note= to say what I have done
and why.

Hope this is a sensible approach!

Mike Harris