[OSM-newbies] JOSM help

James Ewen ve6srv at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 22:50:32 GMT 2009

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 1:36 PM, Thomas Wood <grand.edgemaster at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Josm allows you to have multiple layers in memory. Is there a way to copy
>> nodes and ways from one layer to another?
>
> The only way I know of is the merge function, but that merges the
> whole layer together.

If there are identical nodes and ways on two separate layers, and you
merge them together, will the identical nodes and ways become a one,
or would you end up with two nodes/ways per entity?

We are working on the Canadian GeoBase upload, where we have a script
that picks the unique nodes and ways out of the GeoBase database, for
upload. However, there are the occasional node or way that get missed.
I'd like to be able to select those nodes/ways and merge only that
information from the GeoBase layer to the OSM layer, and then upload
that to the OSM database.

It would be much faster to be able to select and promote to another
layer the desired elements, rather than having to manually trace them
out, and then add all the specific attributes to the newly created
way.

I've never been able to figure out JOSM previously, preferring the
simplicity of Potlatch. However, with this new GeoBase initiative, it
looks like JOSM may be the only way to visualize the GeoBase data
along with the OSM existing data.

I still have no idea how to get the Yahoo WMS layer to work. All I get
are red exception occurred tiles. On an older version of JOSM,  I was
able to view Yahoo imagery.

James
VE6SRV