[OSM-newbies] Creating .img files from OSM data

Bob Hawkins bobhawkins at waitrose.com
Sat Jan 31 10:50:53 GMT 2009

Radomir Mucha-Kruczynski provided an excellent service on http://emexes.powweb.com/osm/download.html to download routable zipped .img files of OSM data by country.  I was able to take advantage of his work to download the whole of Europe for a trip I undertook last September.  It worked brilliantly.  I note that there have been no updates to the website since October 2008, nor can I find any reference to him since last July, and an email that I sent to him remains unanswered.  This a matter of some conjecture and sadness.
In his absence - temporary, I hope - is there a method by which a complete country, say, can be created as a routable .img file?  I hasten to add that I have very little experience of DOS, command lines, .xml or any other of the myriad and wonderful things I read about! (I wish I did.).  In other words, it would have to be a relatively simple and straightforward method for me to be able to implement it.