[OSM-newbies] Map on memory card of Garmin GPSmap76CSx

Russ Phillips russ at phillipsuk.org
Wed Jul 8 16:49:52 BST 2009

2009/7/7 H.S.Rai <hardeep.rai at gmail.com>:
> How to transfer gmapsupp.img on memory card of above device. When
> putting micro  SD card in jack (Adapter) to put in laptop, then laptop
> can read, but cannot write on card. Earlier I was able to transfer by
> puting card in a mobile, and connecting mobile to laptop through USB
> port (now that USB cable has been changed, and is working only for
> charging purpose, and not for data transfer).
>
> Is there any way to access memory card in write mode directly from
> laptop or from GPS device? Why it mount as read only (tried on both MS
> windows and Ubuntu Linux)

There's a section on the Garmin/GPS series wiki page about this series:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Garmin/GPS_series#GPSMAP_60C.28S.29x_and_76C.28S.29x_series

It says
"With modern version of the firmware (≥ 3.1) You can also put the unit
into a "USB Mass Storage Mode" where it just behaves like a SD card
reader. In this mode, the GPX files just show up in a drive on Windows
and Linux, and you can upload directly to OSM."

I have a Garmin eTrex, and when I put it in mass storage mode, I can
simply plug it into a USB port and copy a map file to a "Garmin"
directory on the microSD card.

Russ