[OSM-newbies] Openstreet maps St. Maarten

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason avarab at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 17:35:56 BST 2009

2009/6/10 SteveC <steve at asklater.com>:
>> Dear sir,
>>
>> Reading the articl on the mapping of Caribbean island of Antigua, I
>> wondered if there is a simple way I can map my own island St.
>> Maarten. I have tons of GPX track and have used them to draw streets
>> on the java tool of open street maps. Since my data stems form
>> accrual GPS data some street do not line up with existing street on
>> openstreet maps. I ask for advise on how to contribute in a manner
>> that doesn't involve allot of work.
>>
>> Chris Molanus

Hi Chris.

I see you've already made some contributions to St. Marteen:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/chrismolanus/edits

And the edits you've made align with the Yahoo aerial imagery avalable
for the island, so the tracks look accurate.

Although some of your ways lack tags, you have to tag e.g. residential
ways with highway=residential so they'll show up on the map, otherwise
they're just untagged lines:

http://api.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/29363808

I was hoping to point you to some local users for help, but looking at
the data for St. Maarten these users have more edits than you in the
area:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/RatZillaS
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/AF-ddb
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Skywave
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/LKK

But from a quick glance it looks like they've mainly or only done this
mapping based on Yahoo aerial imagery.

But if you're just hoping to make the existing data more accurate and
add new data you'll pretty much have to adjust the old data as you go,
or delete some of it and make new edits.

I notice that you haven't made any GPX uploads however, you should
upload your tracks here so other users can use them for reference:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/traces/mine

You can also upload a .zip file with your tracks.

Please tell the list if you have any further problems/questions we can
help with.