[OSM-newbies] GPS maps for Windows Mobile

collodian collodian2003 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 16 22:12:36 BST 2009

Was wondering if there is a good tutorial or simple instructions for downloading OpenStreet Maps so I can use them on my phone. I don't have a data plan, so I would have to download them to my computer, then transfer them to my phone.

I'm totally new to GPS and would basically need intructions for dummies kind of stuff. Really simple explanations like to a 5th grader, if you know what I mean. Don't worry that you might be talking down to me, I don't mind, that's what I need because I'm not very smart.

My phone is Windows 6.1 Operating system, is GPS capable, and I have a 4 Gig microSD card which I could use for storing the map data. My computer is Windows 2000 XP, service pack 3. This would be for use in the Seattle metropolitan area.

How do I download the Open Street Maps, what applications would I need to put on my phone, how do I get the app and the maps to work together? All free, of course. If I decided I wanted to spend money, I could get a data plan and just use Google maps.

I would truly appreciate any one willing to provide this kind of information for me in really simple language.

Thank you,
Collodian