[OSM-newbies] View problem - tracert results

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 03:31:54 BST 2009

> I had reported these results but for convenience …

sorry, missed that.

> ·         “I have used tracert and in all 3 tile locations I have a single
> “timed out” at step 2 ie to my ISP, then it works until step 23 when it
> times out again (through to step 30 after which the program stops) after
> “LMN-LMN1.site.ja.net” at 146.97.42.62 – I’m not sure what I was supposed to
> see here though?

We really need to see all steps of one trace (all three if different)
to diagnose where/if your packets are misdirected. I would have
thought you'd get further from Oz than Japan  by hop 30, I think
something is wrong upstream of your ISP.

If TRACERT stops before it gets to the final place, that may be your
answer an indication towards .
-  if your TCP stack is using a 30 hop limit on outbound packets and
your recommended route is longer, that WOULD be a problem.
- if Traceroute is wimping out at 30 but your stack isn't can probably
increase it's parm to continue,

Maybe there's a caching tile server nearer than Europe?

> I will try the ubantu suggestion tonight.

 you'll want a local mirror if down loading, as connection off
continent seem to be part of your issue,

Good luck,

--
Bill
n1vux at arrl.net bill.n1vux at gmail.com