[OSM-newbies] Offline map viewing with topo info?

Craig Wallace craigw84 at fastmail.fm
Sun Mar 1 21:30:17 GMT 2009

On 01/03/2009 04:31, Akkana Peck wrote:
> What's the best way to view OSM maps offline on a Linux machine,
> with topographic contours and (ideally) shading?
>
> OSM online is great and I've been contributing road and trail
> info, but I want to be able to load data onto my Linux laptop
> and view maps when I'm travelling.  I'd also like to be able to
> turn it into a .IMG to put on my Garmin.  And since I'm a hiker
> and biker, I really want topographic data (so I want something
> more than the Cloudmade Garmin maps).

You could look at QLandKarte GT. It can display maps in Garmin format
(img with tdb file), in Linux or Windows etc.
See http://www.qlandkarte.org/ or
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/QLandkarte
It can display contours, but I don't think it does shading.

So you have to get some topo maps in Garmin format. I'm not sure if
there's anything ready made for your area, so you'll probably have to
make some yourself. There's a few guides on the wiki for how to make them:
eg: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Topographic_maps_for_garmin_devices
or http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Unmapped/RouteableTopoGarmin

Craig