[OSM-newbies] avoid repeating the name tag twice

Tal tal.bav at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 12:35:53 GMT 2009

On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Renaud MICHEL
<r.h.michel+osm at gmail.com<r.h.michel%2Bosm at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> Le samedi 07 mars 2009 à 13:10, Claudius Henrichs a écrit :
> > This can be avoided easily by proprocessing: Take a polygon of
> > english-speaking countries or regions and copy values from name to
> > name:en.
>
> How about multi-language contries? (I live in Belgium)
> How about particular features whose default name is not in the country
> language?
> How about features ouside of countries, like antartica?
>
> I think that, if you have names in multiple languages, you chould tag all
> of
> them in name:lang tags and choose one of them as the default name, that
> will avoid fuzzy logic to find the correct language.

I totally agree.

But I prefer not to enter the same name twice, but to "point" the name tag
to the name:lang.
We should not be tagging for the renderer, but that is actually happens with
name tags in Israel.
I mainly use the name tag, since I want to see the name rendered, then spot
mistakes etc.
I sometimes add a name:he, sometimes not. Sometimes I spot problems and only
fixes the name tag, forgetting the name:he...
The feature I've inquired about could help ensure a little more data
integrity.