[OSM-newbies] service:alley or highway:residential?

James Ewen ve6srv at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 04:38:06 GMT 2009

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 9:46 PM, Cartinus <cartinus at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> The fact that there are no six lane divided highway=residential streets has
> nothing to do with the OSM definition of highway=residential, but with the
> fact that there is nobody around stupid enough to build such a road.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.541206,-113.315593&spn=0.000875,0.002414&t=h&z=19

Here's a roadway with 3 lanes in each direction, with a physical
divider that accesses residential areas, as well as going around and
through them. This fits the use criteria, but I would and have tagged
it as a secondary road. Lower level roads that feed into the
residential neighborhoods are tagged as tertiary, and then the lowest
level roads are tagged as residential.

I'm going to continue to tag roads according to their physical
attributes AND use, creating a useful map that portrays the roadways
in a manner that will allow others to visualize the area that they are
viewing, and be able to tell which roads might be best for accessing
the areas they are interested in. The physical attributes are going to
be weighted much higher than use for me when choosing a tag.

James
VE6SRV