[OSM-newbies] New country tagging help

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at thenilgiris.com
Tue Mar 24 11:19:25 GMT 2009

On Tuesday 24 March 2009 16:28:13 Donald Campbell II wrote:
> I don't know.  :-)  I'm having a hard time deciding on really ANY tags.
>  Can anyone help me out with some sort of strategy for doing this? What's
> customary for doing a new country?  Do I need to find some sort of
> government survey map and see how they classify things? What do you do when
> "town" means something different than the established guidelines?

you get to decide since you are the only person tagging - put up a wiki page
and keep describing what you are doing and why. When more people join in, the
debate will be on and a method will appear out of the madness. Here is some of
the discussion we are having in India:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tagging_Roads_in_India

there is no consensus so far, so each person tags his area according to his
scheme - no open warfare so far too. The important thing is to tag - even if
'incorrectly' - it can always be changed later. As for roads, you could tag
them in order of importance - forget 'motorway', use primary, secondary and
tertiary, and if there is an important enough road, you could have one trunk
road too. There is also a tag called 'hamlet' which is smaller than a village.

--
regards
kg