[OSM-newbies] road classification for industrial park

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 02:37:15 BST 2009

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 11:32 AM, Cartinus <cartinus at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> When a road is not important (so it can't be classified as tertiary and above)
> and has no special "purpose" (so it's not residential or service) you're best
> of to tag it as highway=unclassified. The Mapnik layer on openstreetmap.org
> renders unclassified and residential the same.
>
> On Saturday 28 March 2009 16:00:00 doug brown wrote:
>> I am mapping an industrial park and cannot determine what tags to put on
>> the roads in this area.  highway=residential is not appropriate as it is
>> misleading, though it would be desirable that the renderer produce a
>> similar symbol on the map.  I have a similar issue with streets that are
>> primarily commercial.
>>
>> Some guidance please.

An Industrial Park might well have Tertiary roads as its arteries if
so classified by government. Minor roads could be unclassified or
Service road. If unnamed, service road.

We have a lot of Industrial roads mis-tagged Residential in
Massachusetts because that was the default for minor roads in the
MassGIS import. (Yes, Mass isn't Tiger.) Many of them are imported
nameless so they show up on QA Red, and the easy fix is to make them
Service Roads.

--
Bill
n1vux at arrl.net bill.n1vux at gmail.com