[OSM-newbies] JOSM-file read error - invalid version 0

Simon Ward simon at bleah.co.uk
Fri May 1 23:58:02 BST 2009

On Fri, May 01, 2009 at 07:41:13AM -0700, Russ Nelson wrote:
> > I downloaded this version just before the migration weekend to avoid
> > Problems.
> > Is it definitely wrong to use the stable release?
>
> So soon after an API version change?  Yes.  You should be sticking
> with josm-latest, at least for a while.

josm-tested (1529) is fine, works with API 0.6, and does not have the
same upload/download problems a previous version had.  I realise JOSM
changes fast, but I think there’s also a bit of LAG (Latest And
Greatest) Syndrome going on here.  I’m hoping JOSM development can have
some chance to stabilise in a few months when the new API has had chance
to settle in.  That doesn’t mean it should slow down or stop—it means
there should eventually be releases of JOSM where only bug fixes are
applied which immensely helps people maintaining systems, and package
maintainers, while the superb development effort can still carry on.

Simon
simple system that works.—John Gall