[OSM-newbies] Pavements and footpaths along streets

Craig Wallace craigw84 at fastmail.fm
Sun May 3 14:52:37 BST 2009

On 03/05/2009 11:27, Joe Richards wrote:
> Most - but not all - streets have a pavement on both sides which is a footpath. Some have a bicycle path as well.
>
> But the width/size/shape and presence/absence of these things varies and sometimes the footpath along a street can have stairs or other features as it follows the street/road.
>
> How should these things be tagged?

I think for most pavements / footpaths / sidewalks right next to roads
they are not tagged. There have been a few suggestions for "sidewalk"
tags, but I don't think they are commonly used.
If its a cycle path next to the road, you can tag the road/street with
cycleway=track (or cycleway=lane if its on the road).

Or if the path if (slightly) separate from the road, you can draw it as
a separate way, tagged with highway=footway or highway=cycleway or
highway=path etc as appropriate. You can also tag this way with the
usual width= or surface tags etc. Plus access tags for what is legally
allowed, ie foot=yes, bicycle=yes
If it has stairs, then split the way, and tag that section with
highway=steps