[OSM-newbies] Tagging a Funicular

Claudius claudius.h at gmx.de
Tue May 5 11:41:54 BST 2009

Am 04.05.2009 21:50, Blumpsy:
>   >  thus you should tag the way both as highway and railway.
>
> I didn't realise this was possible. Thanks for the hint.
>
> I decided to use close parallel ways for railway and highway. This is
> because I can easily imagine that the council is eventually going to
> give a name to the funicular, in which case I would have two names (road
> and rail) for the same way.

If highway and railway are sharing the same way I would advocate
using... well.. the same way.

@Naming: We should be exact here: The street has one name, but for the
funicular it's not the track that is named but the line. So you can use
the same way and include it in a route relation which then contains the
name given by the council. See here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:route#Public_Transportation

Regards,
Claudius