[OSM-newbies] Pavements and footpaths along streets

Arlindo Pereira nighto at nighto.net
Tue May 5 16:36:51 BST 2009

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 08:17, Eddy Petrișor <eddy.petrisor at gmail.com> wrote:
> Craig Wallace a scris:

>>> Not commonly used is not a good reason to refrain from doing something
>>> good.  I think the suggestion is for sidewalk=left, sidewalk=right,
>>> sidewalk=both, or sidewalk=none.  The default interpretation for
>>> highway=residential would be sidewalk=both, and for highway=trunk it
>>> would be sidewalk=none.  I'm sure there are sensible defaults for
>>> other kinds of highways as well.
>
> I agree, may I suggest these defaults:
>
> motorway   : sidewalk=none
> trunk      : sidewalk=none
> primary    : sidewalk=none
> secondary  : sidewalk=both
> tertiary   : sidewalk=both
> residential: sidewalk=both
> track      : sidewalk=none
>
>> I think it makes sense to have footway/sidewalk=none as default for
>> most/all highways. Its better to have something missing from the map
>> than to map things which aren't there. And I'm sure in some parts of the
>> world, most residential streets don't have any footways/sidewalks.
>
> I would be very surprised to find out there are many more residential roads
> without sidewalks than there are with.
>
> Having sidewalk=both by default for residential seems like a *VERY* sane
> value, since in most residential areas people are expected to do a lot of
> walking, so sidewalks would be very common.

At a first glance, I think that these approach makes sense in big
cities, but it's to be noticed that on small cities (at least here in
Brazil) it's quite common that the highway=residential and
highway=living_street have no sidewalk and people walk on the street
itself.

> --
> Regards,
> EddyP

- --
Arlindo Saraiva Pereira Jr.

Bacharelando em Sistemas de Informação - UNIRIO - uniriotec.br
Consultor de Software Livre da UNIRIOTEC Consultoria - uniriotec.com

Acadêmico: arlindo.pereira at uniriotec.br
Profissional: arlindo.pereira at uniriotec.com
Geral: contato at arlindopereira.com
Tel.: +5521 92504072