[OSM-newbies] R: R: Road Maximum speed in UK units

Stephen Gower socks-openstreetmap.org at earth.li
Wed May 6 15:03:12 BST 2009

On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 09:50:13PM +0200, Fabrizio Carrai wrote:

> But I have to admit that finally in the doubt of the most efficent method
> and in rule with the OSM philosofy to not map for an application but for the
> reality, we should have to remain with the SI (km/h).

My personal preference is that there should only be one tag for any
particular speed (otherwise, if max_speed and max_speed:mph are wildly
different when converted to whatever standard you're using, which one do you
use?) and that tag should always state the units, but just pedantically
speaking, on a point that has no bearing on the actual matter:

The SI (derived) unit for speed is metres per second.