[OSM-newbies] Server returned HTTP response code: 403

Al Girling acgirling at gcguk.demon.co.uk
Thu May 14 13:46:05 BST 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 06:17:11PM BST, Chris Jones wrote:

> On 12 May 2009, at 17:53, doug brown wrote:
>
> > While trying to download data into JOSM Editor received the
> > following message:
> >
> > Server returned HTTP response code: 403 for URL: http://
> > www.openstreetmap.org/api/O.5/map?
> > bbox=-105.27675329101562,21.540973354492188,-105.27400670898437,21.542
> > 346645507813
> >
> > This has been going on for several weeks now.  Anybody know what
> > I'm doing wrong?
>

> You need a newer version of JOSM

This was the same for me.  I've grabbed a newer version (1565) and the
error message now reads 'file not found'.  Checking the wiki I found a
reference suggesting that I need to check I'm using the case sensitive
version of my username/email address and password.  I've tried this and
various different permutations of these, I've even tried getting a fresh
password from the login session, but this still gives me the same 'file
not found' error message.

Perhaps someone could confirm that a username and password is required
to download data before editing it with JOSM.  As far as I know I never
had to before the change to the new API.

Al

--
Alistair Girling