[OSM-newbies] Separating streets that don't join

Isaac Wingfield isw at witzend.com
Sun Nov 1 02:55:59 GMT 2009

Three questions about one thing:

In my neighborhood, I came across an "intersection" where the two
streets don't actually join, though the map said they did. I separated
them and added a "bollard" tag, because that's what is there; cyclists
or pedestrians can go through just fine.

Problem is, at anything less than the highest zoom, the two still
appear to join. See here:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=37.249885&lon=-121.910917&zoom=18&layers=B000FTF

How do I fix it so the streets stay separate at zoom levels a driver
would likely use?

Second, the bollard shows up in the middle of the wrong street; it
should be "between" Coralee and Little Branham. How do I arrange that?

And third, is it appropriate to add a nearly zero-length "cycle path"
to show that bikes and pedestrians can go through, or is there a
better way?

Isaac