[OSM-newbies] Separating streets that don't join

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 10:15:49 GMT 2009

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 3:55 AM, Isaac Wingfield <isw at witzend.com> wrote:
> Three questions about one thing:
>
> In my neighborhood, I came across an "intersection" where the two
> streets don't actually join, though the map said they did. I separated
> them and added a "bollard" tag, because that's what is there; cyclists
> or pedestrians can go through just fine.
>
> Problem is, at anything less than the highest zoom, the two still
> appear to join. See here:
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=37.249885&lon=-121.910917&zoom=18&layers=B000FTF
>
> How do I fix it so the streets stay separate at zoom levels a driver
> would likely use?
>
> Second, the bollard shows up in the middle of the wrong street; it
> should be "between" Coralee and Little Branham. How do I arrange that?
>
> And third, is it appropriate to add a nearly zero-length "cycle path"
> to show that bikes and pedestrians can go through, or is there a
> better way?

I will answer your questions in reverse order:

> And third, is it appropriate to add a nearly zero-length "cycle path"
> to show that bikes and pedestrians can go through, or is there a
> better way?

It is not just appropriate, I consider it compulsory. Although I do
think that for cases like this "pedestrian" (with bicycle = yes) is
better than "cycleway".

> Second, the bollard shows up in the middle of the wrong street; it
> should be "between" Coralee and Little Branham. How do I arrange that?

The bollard should be placed at the spot where the residential road
changes into a pedestrian road, or somewhere on that pedestrian road.

> How do I fix it so the streets stay separate at zoom levels a driver
> would likely use?

The addition of the pedestrian road might already solve this, and we
also tag for the database, not the renderer. However, if you still
feel a need to make the situation clearer, you can do so by making the
pedestrian section a bit longer than it is in reality - in this case
for example until the first driveway.

André Engels, andreengels at gmail.com