[OSM-newbies] only getting shapes; no roads, no names etc.

Lennard ldp at xs4all.nl
Thu Nov 5 15:35:26 GMT 2009

Wim de Vries wrote:

> I think I am gonna install the whole bunch over again.
> It is really hard to find out what/which version to install.
> E.g. for Debian there are packages, but they seem to be incompatible
> which the current data...

Indeed, but catering for the lowest common denominator (oldest versions
of all tools involved that ever went into a recent distro) would limit
the ongoing development of the stylesheet and the mapnik renderer.

Which is why, if you want to use recent OSM mapnik stylesheet versions,
you'd be expected to stay reasonably current with all tools involved in
the toolchain. If mapnik learns a new trick, I'd rather see that we can
start using that without waiting for all distros to catch up.

--
Lennard