[OSM-newbies] osm2pgsql fails on planet.osm, not on smaller osm

Lennard ldp at xs4all.nl
Sun Nov 8 11:11:05 GMT 2009

Wim de Vries wrote:

> I installed Mapnik succesfully. At least, when I added the
> Netherlands.osm to postgres, it was OK and I could create maps and tiles.
> I tried to load planet-latest.osm.bz2 and after a few ours I get:

Did you use slim mode?

Slim mode uses interim tables in the database, instead of stuffing all
relevant information in main memory. Unless you have a machine with 12+
GB of memory, you won't be able to import the whole planet without slim
mode.

Also, if you want to be able to apply diffs to the db, it needs to be
loaded with slim mode.

PS: Have a look at optimizing your postgresql db first, as that will
potentially save a lot of time during the import. There are some tips at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mapnik/PostGIS

--
Lennard