[OSM-newbies] OpenMoonMap? / OpenUniverseMap?

Xan dxpublica at telefonica.net
Fri Nov 20 15:35:56 GMT 2009

En/na Richard Weait ha escrit:

> Dear Xan,
>
> I apologize.  I did take your question seriously and put too much
> trying-to-have-some-fun into my reply.

I was not agry. But it surprised me.
> I have seen Google moon map and I think it is an interesting
> curiosity.  The possibility of using the OSM stack for a similar crowd
> sourced moon map, or other planet is interesting as well.  I'm not
> aware of anybody currently working on this.

A pain. I think it could be useful in a not so long future. It's a pain
that we have not _free_ cartographic information of moon and other planets.
> Perhaps, rather than a map of vector features like OSM, a
> crowd-sourced map of telescope photos, similar to Open Aerial Map?  If
> you find a Moon map or Mars map project interesting, you should do it!

I was thinking in benefit from the osm project and to extend to any
universe object for constructing a Universe map (expanding the Earth map
we are constructing).  Start from scratch a project is difficult and
more with one project like osm (with high skills needed): infrastructure
(servers), software (xml schemas, rendering software), etc.

I think a bit change in xml schemas could serve us like a universe
schemas. But It's just an opinion. I don't know the tech details of osm:
the dtd schemas, the software used to serve the maps, etc.

Perhaps it's a more deeper question for answering in this list.

Regards to you,
Xan.

@James: if google did it, it's useful. The enterprises don't waste
time.... They want to make money. So that information is useful in some way.