[OSM-newbies] OpenMoonMap? / OpenUniverseMap?

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Sat Nov 21 22:24:04 GMT 2009

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 4:23 PM, Trevor Hook
<trevor.k.hook at googlemail.com> wrote:
> But these DEMs are academic when you're talking about importing into an
> OSM-style database -- OSM doesn't do DEMs anyway, does it?  All the
> OSM howtos on creating topographic maps involve importing DEM data
> from somewhere else, then going through elaborate procedures to
> integrate it with the OSM data.

Indeed.  We don't include true elevation data in OpenStreetMap, though
others have shown how to make nice topos.

I think this topic has wandered a bit beyond the purpose of the
newbies list.  As far as I know, nobody is currently using the OSM
stack for an OpenMoonMap, etc.  Certainly nobody on this list has
spoken up about it.

I am impressed by the interest in OpenMoonMap shown on this list.  May
I suggest that those interested in proceeding with this project move
the discussion to the talk list?  With the broader audience there you
may find some additional interested parties.