[OSM-newbies] Waypoints in Potlatch (or using gpsbabel)

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason avarab at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 22:02:35 GMT 2009

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 19:24, Chris Hunter <chunter952 at gmail.com> wrote:
> AFAIK, Potlatch can't handle waypoints - Period.  I haven't found the
> project's trac page, but I suspect it's in the wishlist.
>
> The latest version of JOSM can handle both tracks and waypoints in the same
> GPX file, though.

Potlatch can handle waypoints, they show up as special POIs you have
to unlock to turn into actual nodes in the database.

What it doesn't handle, or more specifically the GPX import script, is
GPX tracks that only have a waypoint section.

I don't know why that's the case exactly. I've heard that it's to make
it harder for people importing e.g. KML waypoints converted to GPX. If
that's the case that's silly, it's trivial to work around it and
obviously it restricts completely legitimate use, such as the one
discussed in this thread.