[OSM-newbies] Community Centres

Peter Childs pchilds at bcs.org
Mon Nov 23 07:08:32 GMT 2009

2009/11/22 Nick Austin <nick.w.austin at gmail.com>:
> On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 9:39 PM, Karl <karl at digitalattic.net> wrote:
>> Your description
>>
>> The first thing that came to my mind was what we call a "community
>> hall", a multi-purpose building that can be rented by various local
>> community groups, or by individuals for private functions. Things such
>> as Boy Scouts meetings, and wedding receptions, or community
>>
>> Fits what I'm describing exactly.
>>
>> Thanks Karl
>> gatherings/dances would be held in these facilities.
>
> amenity=townhall seems to fit.  It includes village halls which is
> what these are know as in the UK.
>
> Nick.

Yes, But a Town Hall tends to say its the Council Offices,
Headquarters of Local Govenment... Which its not. A Town Hall and a
Community Centre are two completly different things. Except of course
when it comes to the OSM idea of a town hall, Which is likely to cause
confusion.

I've got nothing against this use of Town Hall I just feel it may
cause some confusion, and may mean the tags difficult to find and then
does not get used.

It might be a good idea if we had a tag to tag any premises that is
available for multiple purposes and can be rented, ie Scout Huts,
Community Centres, Church Halls, Sports Club Halls, etc etc..... maybe
rentable=yes and maybe even club=scouts;church;toddlers;etc. to list
the multiple uses of the premisies at different times.

Just an idea.

Peter.

Peter