[OSM-newbies] Opinions on my Work

James Ewen ve6srv at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 01:25:37 GMT 2009

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 10:14 AM, Karl <karl at digitalattic.net> wrote:

> Could someone take a look at it all, specifically the church and give me
> some comments.

Looking better from afar! It's difficult to know how well you are
doing at mapping what is on the ground as we aren't familiar with the
area. However, comparing satellite images from Google, against what
you have mapped, it looks like you are mapping things in their
approximate locations.

Yes, I know we can't use Google Images for mapping, but I'm only using
it for comparison. The Yahoo images are very low quality in the area.

I note things like the church parking lot area is much larger than the
actual parking lot. The Church outline is a rough approximation of the
area the Church encompasses. The area of the Church grounds, and the
bowling green appear to be larger than the actual area.

Over at the school, the building area outline is smaller than the
actual school, and is rotated slightly from reality. The shape of the
grounds is quite a bit different from what is seen on the ground.
Google also lists the name of the way as Wat's, in the possessive,
rather than Wats in the plural. (Again, you can't copy information
from Google, I'm just using it for comparison since I have no access
to the area personally.) One would have to check the street signs in
the area to find the real name of the way.

If you are mapping this area just by walking around, and noting the
general layout, you're doing pretty good. If you are walking the
outline of the areas and buildings with a GPS, you need to see if you
can get better data. I turned on the public GPS traces in the area,
but don't see any that might trace out the outline of the area
elements, nor buildings.

You're in a difficult area, as having high resolution aerial images
makes this type of work pretty easy. Doing it without the images can
be difficult. Looking at roads in the area shows a lot of
approximation, as there are bends in straight roads, and straight
sections in roads that bend.

You are doing better in my opinion with this latest incarnation than
the first attempt.

BTW, what this area? http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/44909585
there are no tags on it.

James