[OSM-newbies] Two Questions

Craig Wallace craigw84 at fastmail.fm
Tue Nov 24 14:08:37 GMT 2009

On 24/11/2009 03:10, Al Haraka wrote:
> When I tagged a node that is a stand holding a garbage pale and a
> recycling bin (I am not sure if this is specific to the US, or even
> Maryland area).  To clarify, they are basically two bins right next to
> each other held together by the same wooden post.  AFAIK, they are the
> same item really.  Do I create a relation and have different amentiy
> items (waste_basket and recycling) or do I add multiple tags to the
> same node (amenity recycling;waste_basket)?  I have done the latter so
> far, because the wiki implies, at least to me, amenities are for much
> bigger fish in need of frying.

I would probably create two nodes, and tag one as amenity=recycling, the
other amenity=waste_basket. Even if they're only about 1 metre apart (or
less) - there's not really any limit on how close together nodes can be.
Just zoom right in, and place the (relative) positions of the nodes as
accurately as you can.
Or you can just put both tags on the same node (eg
amenity=recycling;waste_basket), that should also work.
There's no need to use a relation for this.

Craig