[OSM-newbies] Secondary destination? (was: Re: School Campus)

David ``Smith'' vidthekid at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 18:37:39 GMT 2009

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 1:39 AM, James Ewen <ve6srv at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 1:41 PM, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:
>
>> Actually, it was promoted to secondary due to the fact that the whole
>> thing is a major enough road that it needed to be visually distinguished
>> from more minor city ways and properly reflect it's status as an
>> important connection between 99E, 22 and 213.
>
> "Visually distinguished" in the database? Sounds like the tag is being
> selected based on trying to get the rendered image to depict the area
> in a manner that would be useful to the map user.

I think he meant, visibly / noticeably distinguished.  The selection
of a highway tag has a noticeable impact on a road feature's meaning,
and as a result, its visual appearance in most renderings.

> On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 9:22 PM, David ``Smith'' <vidthekid at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Anyway, your explanation satisfies me.  With that in mind, I would
>> suggest promoting to secondary a little bit more of it at the ends:
>> north to OR 99E / Portland Rd NE, and south to the southernmost trunk
>> links to OR 22 / Santiam Expressway.  (<http://osm.org/go/TdXV2vRe>
>> <http://osm.org/go/TdXUoDMr>)  That would make things a bit neater
>> looking.
>
> That wouldn't be a suggestion to "tag for the renderer", would it? The
> data looks pretty "neat" in the database already... tidy little
> numbers and letters all in the right spots and all.

You might say "neater looking" is the visual manifestation of a road
network that makes sense.  When there are many gaps and isolated
stretches of a given highway class, it not only looks sloppy, but it's
difficult to form a solid idea of how the roads actually function.

> It sure sounds like we are all trying to work towards a common goal,
> which is creating a map database that would contain data stored in a
> manner that would allow another user to interpret the stored data in a
> manner that can be easily consumed and understood.

Isn't that the main point of a map?  If we've accomplished that, then
visual representations of the map should look good.  And tactile
representations should feel good.  And aural representations --
haven't really been figured out yet, but you get the point.  Wouldn't
it be nice to have maps which sound good, smell good, and taste good?

--
David "Smith"
a.k.a. Vid the Kid

Does this font make me look fat?