[OSM-newbies] josm memory shortcut solution (in windows) leads wms plugin not working

Jeremy Adams milenko at king-nerd.com
Sat Oct 17 17:44:03 BST 2009

> Hi,
>
> I had a problem a lot of people had with josm, it 'runs out of memory'.
> Looking ages ago  I found a solution in the following email thread (I'm
> using Windows)
> http://www.mail-archive.com/newbies@openstreetmap.org/msg02104.html
> It solved the problem by creating a shortcut that used the solution used in
> that email discussion.
> Target  "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -jar -Xms1g -Xmx1g
> "C:\Users\jason\GPS\JOSM\josm-latest.jar"
> Start In  C:\Users\jason73\GPS
>
> Problem is I have recently started to use the josm wms plugin, and it wont
> work with the shortcut.
> If I open josm using the 'memory solving' shortcut then the wms layer fails
> to open and you get a red layer with "exception occurred",
> If I open josm without the shortcut the wms layer works, but I after a
> while I run out of memory.
>
> Does anyone know what the problem might be, or be able to post some text
> for a shortcut that works?
>
> Thanks
> Jason (user:jamicu)
>

> Jason,

The webkit-images files must be present in the "start in" directory.  I
usually just place the JOSM jar file and the shortcut in the directory with
all of the webkit files and then create a shortcut with a target of
"java.exe -Xmx1024M -jar josm-latest.jar"  leave the start in field blank.
As long as all of the files are together in the same directory, it should
work fine.

-Jeremy