[OSM-newbies] POI or Polygon?

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Sun Apr 18 17:34:22 BST 2010

On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 12:19 PM, Xavier DOR <xavier.dor at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was playing around with OSM maps for my Garmin GPS.
> I have noticed that some polygons tagged as supermarket or fast_food were
> not rendered in my Garmin.
> Therefore, when I am looking for something -let's say a fast food like
> McDo-, it shows me the closest McDo entered as a POI in the OSM database,
> altough another McDo exists closer. But this last one being entered in the
> database as a polygon, it does not show in the Garmin device.
> Both McDo are tagged the same way, altough one is a POI and the other is a
> polygon.
> Should we therefore favour POI instead of Polygons to enter places like
> restaurant, supermarkets, shops, etc. ?
>
> Thank you for your help.
> Do not hesitate to redirect me if the topic has been previously discuss.

Hi Xavier,

This demonstrates a problem with the conversion to garmin format, not
a problem with OSM data.

Offer your observation to the source of your garmin-format file as a
bug report.

We'll continue to map things on OSM as we are best able to do so.
Show POIs etc., as either points or closed ways as you prefer.  Both
are correct in OSM.